Friday, January 23, 2009

23rd January 2009 - Cairns, Qld

As I pattered my way precariously through ankle deep water on the way to the toilet block, I noticed a woman stumbling around in the downpour, restling with a tarp, some ropes and steel poles. A comical sight I must admit, but my heart did go out to her especially since I'd seen her doing the same thing two hours before. I had my umbrella in hand of course and although we had had gallons of rain, it was still pelting down.
 
My first thought was 'gee, what if she'd been camped here last week' the rain coming from the sky would have been the least of her problems. Her rock show was right where the swollen river had risen to and could possibly rise to again. Anyway to foreign tourists who speak little english it is always harder to explain these things. After all she was wearing her middle aged, floral bathers around in the rain so I guess she was prepared. Yes, I helped her of course and within no time we had a dodgey little silver shelter erected for her bits and pieces. Ahhhh the fun and games of caravan parks.
 
The other thing we have been restling with is the concept of afternoon sleeps. The heat of the day does a good job of making the camper trailer a virtual no-go zone during the hours of 8am and 4pm. Little baby brains don't cope so well with going without sleep but trying to convince them that the hothouse is a good place to lay down their heads is even harder. We have overcome this problem with a couple of cheap fans which blow their invisible magic over them and Ella at least can snatch an hour or two sleep.
 
We just celebrated Jake and Ella's 4th and 2nd birthdays.... yes, they are a week apart. The Landcruiser is virtually over flowing with new toys and things. I see an eradication program is on the cards.


Find great deals on eBay Net yourself a bargain